I’ll be honest, I’m really not that big of an ice cream fan. (Trust me, it’s a good thing for my dining companions – they can always have my mine.) However, add in some of my favourite things like chocolate, toffee, coconut, and macadamian nuts, and I just can’t resist. So when the invites came in for a few special events, I had to make time to pop up to the Magnum® Pleasure Store at Bloor and Yonge to try my hand at making my own.
The store launched with a special appearance by Magnum spokeperson and my favourite man candy Joe Manganiello of True Blood; and followed with subsequent appearances over the month with visits from celebrity chef Mark McEwan, fashion design duo Greta Constantine, and NHL player Joffrey Lupul. (I wonder who might come in this month…)
The event I was able to make it for was the showcase of the 24-karat gold dress designed by Zac Posen. The dress was inspired by their famous Magnum Gold bar and is valued at $1.5 million. It apparently took two weeks to craft by hand. It was gorgeous.
The pop-up store was set to close this weekend, but because of the long lines out the door – public can create their own ice cream bar for $6 each – they’ve extended it until August 30th. Happy days for ice cream fans!
Here are some fun stats collected from when the store opened on June 28th until July 26, 2013:
- 11,534: Total number of bars sold
- 9,084: Vanilla bars (Vanilla ice cream always trumps chocolate for me!)
- 2,450: Chocolate bars
- 501: Average number of bars sold per day
- 24,041: People who visited the store
- 7: Celebrities who’ve made custom ice cream bars
- 21: Topping ingredients available
- 5: Pounds of nerds used to-date
- 7: Pounds of fudge used per week
- 3: Number of months it took to build out the Toronto Magnum® Pleasure Store
- 1,543: Twitter posts featuring the hashtag #mymagnum
The store is located at 11 Bloor Street West in Toronto and is open 7 days a week until August 30.
- Monday-Saturday: 12:00pm – 10:00pm
- Sunday: 11:00am – 6:00pm